Thursday, July 16, 2015

A Treasure Trove Uncovered!

As I mentioned, I have been trying to clean up my sewing room.  I have a lot of stuff stored there and in cleaning I have found things I forgot I had!!  Among these things were several hand painted batiks which I probably bought at some quilt show.  I really liked this penguin one the most so decided to combine it with a bunch of the Dear Jane blocks that I still have (and probably still have another couple of hundred).  I like using them as borders and here I have set them all on point.  I seem to do that a lot with these blocks.  These were from an internet block exchange I participated in probably 15 years ago.  We were recreating the colors of the original quilt.  I could have made that quilt but didn't see the point anymore!!  I have made three of these quilts already (not like the original however).

I decided that it really needed the blue repeated so made this border of two blue strips and one alternating squares strip.

Then I decided I really needed to calm down the blue with a little touch of the gold and a charcoal grey patterned border.

Here is the top finished.  I didn't have my camera so this is from my phone so not as good as the above pictures for sure.  Now to machine quilt it!  May save it for the beach but will definitely baste it up here as I found piles of batting left over from other projects -- small pieces which I will stitch together for these smaller projects.


No comments: